Wednesday 23 September 2015

Getting the best from your Wedding Photographer

Choosing the right person for wedding, the biggest day of your life (no pressure there then?) is a daunting affair.  Choose wisely and you end up with some very special photographic memories that will live on forever.  Memories that will invoke feelings and take you right back to the specific times during your big day.  On the other hand you could end up with a set of images that over time you may come to resent.

Whether you do it yourself or hire a wedding planner, the amount of time and effort you invest in planning for your biggest day will probably be the biggest project you will undertake in terms of attention to detail.  Of all the weddings I have been involved with, I know this to be true.  I remember how much effort my daughter put into planning her wedding and the level of detail was close to awe inspiring.  Suffice to say she did not allow me to shoot that particular day!  She said something about giving her away and I suggested remote cameras.  I left my kit at home!

From experience as a photographer, I can't plan enough.  Some say I am bit OCD when it comes down to gathering in the details from my clients and then planning-out the shots I aim to get.  It is easy to take for granted as many amateurs do, that simply turning-up, gathering a group together and firing a few frames makes for good results.  Oh no, nothing could be further from the truth.  I remember attending a friend's wedding many years ago, as a guest and being part of the group photos.  I also remember visiting said friends a few weeks later to view the wedding photos and what stuck in my mind was the bride's comments about so and so not being in the picture and why auntie Mavis was in the back row partially obscured by one of their larger friends.  When the big day has come and gone and all that is left are memories and your wedding photographs, it's these little things that stand out so glaringly.  That's why I pay particular attention to detail and that is why I always take along an assistant.  Whilst he or she are busy herding people into position and searching for missing relatives and best friends, I keep those we have captive entertained, although my jokes do stink a little!  That said, if I have planned with the happy couple for everyone to be in the large group photo, they will be and I will certainly make sure Auntie Mavis takes pride of place towards the front of the gathered crowd or at the back depending on my client's wises.

The big difference in attending a wedding as a professional supplier is that you have the disadvantage of not knowing everyone assembled.  As a minimum I will know the bride and groom and will have established a rapport with them and in some cases I might also have met parents or siblings.  Often this is because someone is paying for my services as a wedding gift.  This is why it is so important that I extract every bit of detail during the pre-wedding photography planning meeting.  I created a planning pack a while ago and believe me it is detailed, very detailed but as my motto is 'forearmed is forewarned' then you can never have enough information.  In effect I have my clients complete a sort of family tree which also includes friends.  If there is a requirement for formal group shots I agree these in advance with the happy couple but also remind them that it can change right-up to the last moment and they can send me as many revisions as they want.  The various groups are agreed in a second planning meeting which takes place closer to the event together with any other special requirements they desire or I suggest.  Once I have the final plan I then set about breaking this down into a shooting schedule.  I always start with the largest number of people and dwindle it down to close family and finally the bride and groom.  My assistant dutifully trots off to gather the chosen and I begin organising them by size, shape and importance and throughout which I gently remind them that it is by request of the their gracious hosts that are we having to man-handle and cajole them into place and position. Though I say it myself, my group shots have become a thing of legend.  It is amazing what you can get people to do if you capture their imagination and more importantly their attention.

People ask me how much I charge to shoot a wedding and I always say, how much of the wedding do you want me to record and capture?  I have had clients that want only the ceremony and a few formal photos taken afterwards and those who want me to start shooting the minute the bride or groom wakes-up right through to being carried over the threshold.  I draw the line at the hotel wedding suite and a very private shoot!!!  A sixteen hour shoot versus a two hour session calls for a big variance in my fees.  However, irrespective of how long I spend photographing a wedding, a similar level of detail goes into my planning.  I leave absolutely nothing to chance.  To my knowledge, I have never, ever let any of my clients down.  I have never not been unable to turn-up but always plan for that unlikely eventuality.  Should I not know a particular venue then in my own time I go and view it.  I meet the venue planners and scour the entire location to make sure I know where I will get the best pictures. I create a plan with timings, phone numbers, post codes, notes and comments.  I leave nothing to chance including the good old British weather.  I have contingencies for bad weather when it should be good and similarly a contingency for good weather when it is forecasted to be bad.  To crown it all off, I also communicate efficiently.  I send emails and texts, more for reassurance than anything else.  Once a client has confirmed and paid their deposit, they need not worry about the photographs or me turning-up.  This is one of my big successes and has seen me win repeat business time after time.

So when you start trawling through potential candidates for wedding photographer, ask them about their planning.  Ask to see paperwork, as this is often a good indication of whether they pay attention to the right level of detail.  You need confidence in them because unlike your dress or the table dressings, it will be too late on the day to start having to help them plan and organise.






No comments:

Post a Comment