Monday 21 September 2015

Choosing Your Wedding Photographer

Well, the easy answer is choose me!!  OK that's far too easy and doesn't really help you.  So here we go.

There are essentially three things to consider, style and quality of the photographer's work, cost and for me the most important factor, rapport.  If you don't gel with your shooter then the finished results will show.

Style

There are numerous styles to choose from and you need to know what it is you want before you begin your search.  My preferred style is documentary or reportage as I think it brings out a natural look to the finished images and my importantly tells the story of the day.  Many clients now request this style and very often they end-up with a mixture which includes formal group shots.  I think there is a desire to ensure everyone who is important to the happy couple are included in at least one image and I actively encourage this.  On my last assignment my clients were adamant that they did not want posed images which was fine and we had not discussed options however as I knew the venue I knew, should the need arise, how and where I would take the shots.  Guess what!

A good photographer will always plan for the unplanned so it might be worth asking a few questions when considering who to commission.  He or she will know what shots they are looking for including any special requests from the client.  For documentary coverage they will looking to tell the story of the day and capture the special moments as well the unexpected.  For me I am looking to evoke memories and to provide images and scenes that the happy couple will not always have been aware of or scene.  After all they will be preoccupied by each other, the plans they put in place and of course the endless attention from guests.  So it is very important I capture a lot of detail in addition to the people who share the day.

Cost

Cost is an all important factor irrespective of the overall budget for the day.  I am certainly a firm believer in the 'you get what you pay for' philosophy as I have heard far too many scary stories about cost cutting resulting in disappointing wedding photographs.  We are in the age the digital camera and camera phone and everyone believes they can take great photographs.  It's true many people do take some great shots but in many cases it's by accident rather than by design.  Anyone with a camera can take pictures but when you place them side by side with a professional then you will be amazed at the world of difference.  I've known countless weddings where a 'friend' with a good camera has been the official photographer and I've also heard the regrets over such decisions.

There are photographers that will charge as little as a couple of hundred pounds and those who charges thousands.  I guess from what I have seen the average stretches between £850 - £1500 for a true professional.  To the lay person someone earning around a grand for a few hours work seems excessive but it's not just about the time spent behind the camera keeping your special day's memories alive.  If you consider there's the investment in equipment.  I carry approximately £10,000 worth of cameras, lens, lighting and accessories with me when I shoot a wedding or event.  Financial investment aside, most photographers have spent many years perfecting their art.  Before the event there is the client meeting sometimes at their home or at the venue and sometimes at my studio.  I usually like to meet at my studio so I can do a pre-wedding photo shoot which helps to build rapport and gets them use to being front of a camera.  On the day of the wedding, I usually make an early start.  I check and double check all my equipment and familiarise myself with the running order for the day and get to the first location with plenty of time to spare.  I sometimes shoot in three or four separate locations and I have plan for each.  After event, the real work begins.  Depending on the size and length of a wedding I have to download thousands of images from camera to my PC and then create back-ups to be safe.  Then comes the task of sifting through every single image to determine it merits.  I sort them in star ratings between one and five.  Starting with the five star images I begin post processing, tidying-up images, removing stay hairs from faces, adjusting colour and tone.  I then crop the images and begin final processing of converting to a format that can be used by the client.  In total the post processing can take 3-4 days.  Once I have completed images I then create a slideshow and order test prints.  The last task is to arrange a viewing with the client and again this can be in their home or at my studio.

Once you start to break-down the work involved hopefully you begin to appreciate that if say a photographer charges £1,000 he or she has probably put several days time into the whole commission and by anyones standards the returns are relatively modest.  From any fees, tax, national insurance, public liability and equipment insurances needs to be paid.  So too, there is the cost of upgrading equipment and software.  Running costs of a vehicle and so on.  So if you pay between £850 - £1500 you really are getting great value for money.

Rapport

I really believe that if you can't build rapport with your photographer or more importantly if the photographer cannot build rapport with the clients, then it matters not that they may be the best in their field or that they charge a modest fee.  Rapport counts for everything.  I know some great photographers and some who really should keep to commercial and product photography as their people skills leave a lot to be desired.  One of the easy tests when considering the hire of a pro is to call them on the phone and have a chat.  It won't take you long to work out whether you will warm towards them.  If you don't then ring the next one on your list.  Remember it's not only you they need to get along with, they need strong interpersonal skills as they will likely at some stage need to command groups of people and it can be very easy to upset people especially once it gets to the group photograph stage.  For many it's already been a long day and either they want to sit and relax a while or more often or not, hit the bar!  A good photographer if you've asked them to include group photos will be stealthy and organised.  They will start with the largest group and dwindle this down until they are left with the nearest and dearest and finally the happy couple.  Personally I employ an assistant who helps me to organise groups and search for the missing friend or relative.  It is akin to hearing kittens at times but worth all the effort when the married couple finally get to view my work.

So there you have it.  My three top tips to consider when hiring your wedding day photographer.  1) Choose your style, 2) Don't scrimp on the cost and 3) Choose wisely and get the right person for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment